On Memorial Day


     Memorial day started in 1866 as the not-so-United States was recovering from the Civil War. It was then called Decoration Day. One can almost picture the veterans with their forced stoic efforts to remain strong, walking along side the families of the dead, grieving in route to the cemetery, tears trickling down their cheeks. Together they would pay tribute to their fallen comrades and loved ones by decorating the graves of the soldiers who had died during the war between the states.  In 1868 the name was changed to Memorial Day and it was expanded to include the casualties of all previous wars. President Richard Nixon made it a national holiday in 1972.  Some still decorate graves with flags and flowers, but for many people today, Memorial Day just represents the beginning of summer and a long weekend when people have cook-outs, head to the beach, have family reunions, etc.

     As I think about Memorial Day, I want to take time to appreciate those who sacrificed their lives so I can live in freedom. I also want to acknowledge the one who gave me a freedom that no one can ever take away, spiritual freedom. I was once a slave to sin, but there was one who sacrificed His life so I could choose to be free. Jesus Christ gave his life. No man took it from Him, but he freely gave it so that all people could be made free if they will trust in him for salvation. In reality, the purpose of the "Lord's Supper", or the "Lord's Table", or "communion" is to commemorate the death of our Lord Jesus Christ for our sins.


1Co 11:24  And when he had given thanks, he brake it, and said, Take, eat: this is my body, which is broken for you: this do in remembrance of me. 
1Co 11:25  After the same manner also he took the cup, when he had supped, saying, This cup is the new testament in my blood: this do ye, as oft as ye drink it, in remembrance of me. 
1Co 11:26  For as often as ye eat this bread, and drink this cup, ye do shew the Lord's death till he come.

No comments:

Homeschooling Help

Get Bibles, gifts, music, and more!