Jesus Said "Amen!"

Rev 1:18  I am he that liveth, and was dead; and, behold, I am alive for evermore, Amen; and have the keys of hell and of death.

It's as if Jesus got blessed while giving this statement to John, and right in the middle of the statement gave a hearty "Amen!" Surely if the Holy Spirit within us makes us want to shout and praise the Lord when we hear the truth of Scripture, it stands to reason that Jesus, who is God would get blessed by the Word being proclaimed, even (or should I say) especially when he himself proclaims it. I mean he is the "Word" in John chapter one.
My next thought is what was it about this statement that excited Jesus the most? Was it the fact that he had died and rose again? Or that he was alive forevermore and would never face death again? Or was it that he conquered death? Or was is that he had the keys of death and hell? Or that he had full control over death, everyone's dreaded enemy? Or was he so blessed because those that he had died to save would face death, but would also rise again to be alive forevermore? Oh my! The prospects are wonderful! Was he thrilled that by his own power he raised himself from the dead, therefore he was worthy to be given authority over death, hell and the grave?
I don't know what Christ was thinking or feeling when he said "Amen" there, but I know what I'm thinking! Glory to the Lamb that was slain, that has the keys of death and hell who will one day change my mortal body to one of immortality. Whether I go in the rapture or if death slides it's cold fingers around my throat and chokes the life out in me, I don't have to worry because "I know that my redeemer liveth, and that he shall stand at the latter day upon the earth: And though after my skin worms destroy this body, yet in my flesh shall I see God: Whom I shall see for myself, and mine eyes shall behold, and not another; though my reins be consumed within me. (Job 19:25-27)
Albert Barnes said it well.
  •  As Christ always lives; as he always retains this power over the regions of the dead, and the whole world of spirits, it may be further remarked that we have nothing to dread if we put our trust in him. We need not fear to enter a world which he has entered, and from which he has emerged, achieving a glorious triumph; we need not fear what the dread king that reigns there can do to us, for his power extends not beyond the permission of the Saviour, and in his own time that Saviour will call us forth to life, to die no more.

If we fear not death, what then?

No comments:

Homeschooling Help

Get Bibles, gifts, music, and more!