Heirlooms ~ Antiques

Heirloom by definition is "A valued possession passed down in a family through succeeding generations."
Antique by definition is "Belonging to, made in, or typical of an earlier period. One source says that to quality as an antique, something must be 100 years old.

Something that is an antique is not always an heirloom and an heirloom would not always qualify as an antique. The following pictures are antiques and heirlooms to me. They are items from an earlier period that have been passed down from earlier generations. Most of my antiques were heirloom gifts. A few of them I have purchased. Each one seems to tell it's own story of a by gone time and place.  I am especially fond of the heirlooms because of the personal story behind them. Underneath each picture I have given a description of each. I hope you enjoy them.
This picture belonged to my husband's paternal grandmother. 
She purchased it with S & H green stamps that she had saved.

This 1916 Singer sewing machine belonged to my great grandmother. 
The child's rocker on the left was my son's (early 1980s.) The one on the right was my mother's, probably made in the late 1930s or early 1940s.

This chair with cow hide seat was made by my maternal great grandfather.
Come to think of it that sewing basket is also an heirloom from my grandmother.

This old wardrobe (we've always called it the cedar robe) belonged to my grandmother. 
 This flour barrel belonged to my husband's grandparents. I don't know if it ever served any other purpose than a flour barrel, but it is coated with wax on the inside, so I wondered if it might have contained liquid at some time. The oil lamp also belonged to his grandparents.
 I have a smaller flour barrel like this which belonged to my grandmother.
The glass washboard in the background to the left belonged to my
maternal great grandmother who really used it to wash clothes. 
The telephone is a modern replica I purchased for $17 at a resale shop.

This manual hand mixer belonged to my maternal grandmother.

I purchased this antique popcorn popper at a resale shop.

This was the first bed of my maternal great grandparents. It was painted white when I received it. We painted it copper and chocolate to match a replicated version I saw online.

I have a few more antiques, maybe I'll post some more pictures later.

No comments:

Homeschooling Help

Get Bibles, gifts, music, and more!