Do We Dare To Be A Daniel?

We've been studying the life of Daniel in Sunday School. What a man of character! He was taken hostage into Babylonian captivity by King Nebuchadnezzer when he was about 16. This was a place where it was very unpopular to worship Jehovah. Not only that, they even changed his name from Daniel to Belteshazzar. The name Daniel means God is judge. Belteshazzar means Baal provides. They were trying to wipe God out of his life. However, Daniel kept himself unspotted from the world in which he was living. Have you noticed that Daniel's name continues to be used throughout the book. God used him to interpret dreams that God Himself had given the king. The prophecies in the dreams came to pass. God wrote on the wall to King Belshazzar (Nebbie's son), "Mene Mene Tekel Upharsin (you've been weighed in the balances and found wanting.) This reminds me of Romans 3:23 "For all have sinned and come short of the glory of God." That night Daniel saw that kingdom fall and another rise. Then because Daniel was about to be made the overseer under King Darius of the Medo Persian Empire (The 2nd of the 4 World Empires, the 3rd being The Grecian Empire, the 4th being The Roman Empire)the princes got jealous and had him thrown into the lions den at the ripe old age of about 90. He knew His God would somehow see him through. He was 90, I don't think he planned on fighting the lions. Throughout his life Daniel trusted God, no matter what came his way. The Bible says he had an excellent spirit and was wise. We can have an excellent spirit if we let our faith in Jesus Christ carry us through life. God is in control! Let's dare to be a Daniel!

4 comments:

Karen said...

Hi, there! Thank you so much for visiting me yesterday. I see on your profile that we have a lot in common--first of all, our faith in Jesus Christ! I also love the book A Gown of Spanish Lace--homeschooling--bargain shopping, just to name a few! Thanks for your sweet comment you left me. Hope you have a great day!

Liesa George said...

Thanks. I needed this today!
Love you,
LG

Marilyn in Mississippi said...

I have always loved that Daniel "purposed in his heart" that he was going to serve God. I know me...if I don't make up my mind in advance that I'm going to do what is right in God's eyes, then when the temptation comes along it's a lot harder to fight it! Daniel has long been one of my heroes!

Marilyn

God's Girl said...

Oh... we are going through the book of Daniel in our Women's Bible Study also. It has been really good!

We are going through 2 studies; one by Cheryl Brodersen and the other by Beth Moore.

Have a wonderful weekend!

Homeschooling Help

Get Bibles, gifts, music, and more!